Over 1 million tech questions and answers.

I cant start my PC - Windows wont start - missing root system 32 file

Q: I cant start my PC - Windows wont start - missing root system 32 file

After only just having one problem solved on here I have encountered another and I think it is fairly problematic but am far from understanding it - please help!!!

I downloaded the new version of Internet Explorer (version 8) as this was an option when I signed onto the web this afternoon (I previously had IE 7 and am running Windows XP version 2).

But after downloading this I had trouble getting onto the net (though I seemed to be able to initially). So I restarted the PC. But, it did not restart.

Instead I get the following message on a plain black screen when I try to run my computer:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

What is this file? I have an Acer Aspire notebook which came installed with Windows XP Version 2 (I have no CD drive currently).

I have looked on the microsoft website (I am currently on a different PC) but dont understand anything that is posted on their about this problem.

Do I need to re-install a new operating system? Will this mean I will loose all my data that is on my computer? This is very precious to me as I am travelling and I have saved on my computer photos and diary entries - I would be very upset to loose them.

What is my best course of action? Should I take it to a specialist. Again I really hope I can prevent the information that I did have saved on there from being deleted.

Thankyou to anyone who can assist.

RELEVANCY SCORE 200
Preferred Solution: I cant start my PC - Windows wont start - missing root system 32 file

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/download.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: I cant start my PC - Windows wont start - missing root system 32 file

Read other 8 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 95.6

I am getting the above error when I try to boot my computer. I have tried pressing f8 and trying other boot options, like safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration, etc, but every choice lands me back at the error message. When I put in the windows xp cd, and choose the install option, it does not give an option to repair an existing installation, just to install fresh, and if I pick that, I just have options to reformat, or install without reformatting, no repair option. If I go back and pick the option to go to the recovery console, it asks me for the administrator password. I do not have one set. If I leave it blank and press enter, it tells me my password is incorrect. When I press f2 and check my bios security options, it says I do not have an admin password set. But, recovery console will not recognize this, and keeps demanding a password. I do not have another pc (just a mac) to download any file or program to help. Does anyone have any suggestions so that I do not have to lose all my files and pics that are not backed up?

A:Windows could not start because of corrupt file <windows root>\system 32\hall.dll

Hi and welcome to TSF please see the info here Repair Windows XP by Performing a Repair Install (Part 1 of 2) read through the whole thing and see if it can help

Read other 7 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 94.8

Here's the issue. After I ran a pc recovery the system rebooted and went to this error. Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

Now I know this is most likely an issue with boot.ini. My problem is that my cd rom had milk spilled in it by my 3 year old.
I also never got any copy of the widows xp install disk(as is the new norm) when I bought this pos.
I burned a copy from a torrent but when I put it in the cd rom after changing the boot order to atapi cd nothing happens it just goes to an alpha prompt for awhile then goes back to the message. But that is probably due to the milk.

I have an external cd rom that was installed on the machine before it went down. Is there anyway I can use that?

You know this no win cd when you buy now is a huge pain in the ass......damn you Bill Gates.........d**n you.

A:No Start Missing Root File No Idea What To Do At This Point.

Please get your facts straight - The decision to stop providing CD's was motivated by the same reason that they stopped providing printed manuals - the almighty dollar. Most OEM's are required to provide a means to restore the computer - not Bill Gates. Your PC maker chose to save a few bucks by having you make the CD's rather than providing them to you. FYI - you can usually order them from your PC maker for a small charge.

As you cannot legally download a copy of XP (except under certain strictly controlled circumstances from Microsoft servers) the torrent copy that you are using is likely to be illegal. Not much of a problem if you've got a licensed product key - but still something to consider.

But, back to the original issue. This is a failure of the NTLDR stage of the boot process and it occurs just before NTLDR transfers control to the NTOSKRNL (the point where the splash screen appears). At this stage it's loading the System hive for the registry, the boot drivers, ntoskrnl.exe, and hal.dll. All of this is supposed to occur after it reads boot.ini and allows you to make a boot selection (such as Safe Mode). Is this the case with your system? Are you able to access the Safe Mode boot menu?

Read other 1 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 93.6

I'm getting the:
windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system
...message
came out of nowhere, actually throughout the day i kept getting various messages for multiple programs saying they had to close for one reason or another as well as various messages from programs saying(out of the blue) they were all of a sudden missing files, making a couple of the programs inoperable.
i restarted the computer after getting all these messages and thats when the problem started. bad part is im still getting the message after 2 os reinstalls.
what do you think the problem is?
background on the machine:
its a 9-10 y/o compaq presario s3000nx. all parts swapped out over time except the hard drive & the power supply.
any help is much appreciated. thanks
ps. i tried windows soulution for this problem, if you're familiar, the first couple things they say to copy wont copy for me with the recovery console. and the option to repair the other way isn't there. i coulda sworn it was before though *shrugs*

A:windows wont start - file missing/corrupt

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When the  FileHippo website opens, click on Download latest version in the upper left pane.
 
When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.
 

 
Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.
 
The following screen will appear, click on Yes.
 

 
The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.
 

 
In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.
 
 

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.
 
 Checkmark the following checkboxes:
 
• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files
 
 Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.
 

Read other 7 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 92.8

windows wont start up for me and i get the error message

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\windows\system32\config\system

Also i dont have the repair install option under install windows), it just says installing two versions of windows is not recommended do you wish to continue. I went into the recovery console but really have no idea what to do there. Can anyone please help me,thanks

Stephen
 

A:Solved: windows wont start:missing file HELP NEEDED

Read other 13 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 92.8

Hello...thanks for your help...

I have a laptop that wont boot up message says: windows 2000 cannot start because the following file is missing or corrupted <windows 2000 root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. It asks to reinstall a copy of this file.

I can't do anything because screen is black and frozen just message appears. I tried putting windows 2000 cd in but nothing happens.

Thanks again for helping.

Added: problem may be due to a freeware program i used (EasyCleaner) to try and clean registry. It deletes duplicate files or files that point nowhere etc. and maybe that deleted something i needed.
 

Read other answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 91.2

For the past month or so, everytime that I start up my laptop (Toshiba running on XP) I got this message (which only lasts for about 2 seconds):


Quote:




Please select the operating system to start:
Microsoft Windows Recovery Console
Microsoft Windows XP Professional




If I don't choose anything in the two seconds, it automatically chooses Microsoft Windows XP Professional, and boots up regularly, until today. I booted it and this message same up after the previous screen, asking me to choose a way in which to start up my machine from the following options:


Quote:




Safe Mode
Safe Mode w/ Networking
Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Start Windows Normally




No matter which I choose, I get this error message:


Quote:




Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select "r" at the first screen to start repair.




I don't have the original Windows Setup Disk, so I cannot do the option they have provided. No matter what I do I cannot get past this message! PLEASE help me!! Thank you VERY much in advance!

Read other answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 90.8

I have a nother PC that has windows 2000. I get a windows cant start missing system file ?

Please use proper thread titles from now on. Thanks.
 

A:Windows cant start missing system file ?

I am taking a stab in the dark when I guess that you didnt take momok's advice in your other post here. It may be helpful for you to read the post by momok, and go the the links attached and read each. I bet you would get more help if you did so.
 

Read other 2 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 90.4

For the past month or so, everytime that I start up my laptop (Toshiba running on XP) I got this message (which only lasts for about 2 seconds):

Please select the operating system to start:
Microsoft Windows Recovery Console
Microsoft Windows XP ProfessionalClick to expand...

If I don't choose anything in the two seconds, it automatically chooses Microsoft Windows XP Professional, and boots up regularly, until today. I booted it and this message same up after the previous screen, asking me to choose a way in which to start up my machine from the following options:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode w/ Networking
Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Start Windows NormallyClick to expand...

No matter which I choose, I get this error message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select "r" at the first screen to start repair.Click to expand...

I don't have the original Windows Setup Disk, so I cannot do the option they have provided. No matter what I do I cannot get past this message! PLEASE help me!! Thank you VERY much in advance!
 

A:Solved: Windows wont start up!! SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM corrupt or missing!!

Read other 15 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 89.6

Hey guys,

I've got a Sony Vaio VGN laptop, when I started it this morning I got the
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

I know this means there is a problem with the registry so I carried out some searches and landed across several threads and solutions. However my problem now is that I don't have the windows xp setup/installation disk and all those solutions require it. I had a set of cds but it turns out they won't work on my laptop because they're for a different version.

I also need to keep all the files and programs on the computer. So what I need is a solution that won't delete anything from the laptop.

P.S I was going to try out the first solution on this thread (which links to the Microsoft website), does anyone know if this will work and keep all the files?

Cheers in advanced guys

A:Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt - System

Try and borrow an XP CD (must be same version as your installation) as some repairs are just not possible without one. Borrowing one for repairing an installation is quite legal.

Follow the procedures here:

How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting

Read other 1 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 89.6

When i try to boot xp home I get black screen with message Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the original set up cd rom. Select "R" at first screen to start repair.
Okay so I figured Id do a repair/install method. It reconizes my current windows installation on C:, but theres no repair option?? Any suggestions?
Thanls in Advance!!!

A:Help! Windows XP Home missing start up file : System

There's a very good tutorial for this, you can read it here.

Read other 2 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 87.2

So my friend bought a non brand tablet from china with win vista on it. He turned it on and gave the error that a file is missing therefore it would not load the o.s.

I then though mayb I can pull out the hhd and plug it into my desktop and install winXp.

Well it ran well and it installed on the hhd and ran smooth. I shut off the comp and pulld out the hhd and placed it back in the tablet.

I turned on the tablet and it detected new hardware and askd if I should run it on safe mode, network, comand prompt, last good config or start off normally.

Well I try all amd nothing....

It would start but but then the xp icon would show with the loading bar and restart.

And back to the new hdwr detected screen....

What can I do??
 

A:Third party tablet wont start up. Missing OS file missing.

Read other 16 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 86.4

Hello,
I bought A dell XPS 710, roughly mid September 2007. The pc was for me and college work. As i lived away from family during college terms the pc stayed with me until summer time. On saturday the pc was put into the back seat of the car with car belt + other items pinning it to the seat beside me.

When i got home i insured i got the pc to my room safely yet when i started the pc i got Windows cannot start as there is a file missing or corrupt (press R to repair)
WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

i put in the OS cd given by Dell with the pc purchase and attempted to Repair and attempt a reinstall of the OS the missing or corrupt file when i get a blue screen of death including
BAD POOL CALLER
*** Stop: 0X000000C2(0X00000043X, 0XCA514000,0X00000000, 0X00000000)

i attempted also to make boot to cd this priority for booting, yet decided to change it back to old since there was no point.

I am hoping someone here can offer me assistance, oh yes also! (i took the HD, put it into this pc as a slave, copied the important files to an external in the hope that i could reinstall windows.

At this stage i am stumped, i think the HD may have been damaged from excessive vibrations caused by the pot holes(trenches) that existed on the journey. Irregardless i would appreciate the assistance.
 

A:Windows cannot start, file missing or corrupt windows\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Read other 13 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 86.4

Alright, here is my story.My computer randomly gave me this message, it has been a few weeks and I don't remember what exactly happened before I got the message.Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMI have tried many times to fix this problem, having tried many different methods and have even gotten my computer to stop giving me the message; but other problems soon came afterword. I will explain this later.Let me also point out that I have made a recovery disc, and DO NOT have an original XP disc to use. The disc gets me into the Recovery Console Tool, so I am not sure if this is that big of a deal. And let it also be known I have very little knowledge of the Recovery Console Tool or any other type of MS-DOS or DOS-looking codes/commands or whatever.Let me first start with what I have already tried, and tell you what problems came from trying that particular thing.First AttemptI went to the obvious at the beginning looking around hoping this would be an easy fix. I found a guide on Microsoft's website where I followed some instructions.http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;307545The problem here was simple. I would type a "copy" command and there would be an error saying it cannot find the file to copy.Second AttemptI found this in another thread posted on the internet and decided to try it out.http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htmI did this the f... Read more

A:Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

From the recovery console try typing CHKDSK /R... notice the space between K and /R...see if that helps will some of your problem.

Read other 3 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 86.4

hey my computer gets this
Windows will not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM. You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select ?R? at the first screen to start repair

and i tried and reinstall windows xp home edition sp2 but it says that i cant due to the fact that the file
hal.dll is missing and i dont know what to do please help

A:Windows Will Not Start Because The Following File Is Missing Or Corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system. Y...

If you can get on a friends computer build the UBCD4Win this will give you full read/write access to your hdd.Copy the needed files across from the original install media into the system32 folder.Then do the following from the ubcd4win CD:Go -> Programs -> System Tools -> Check DiskType C if this is your partition containing the operating system, adjust according if these files are on a different partition ie D, E etc....Do you want to fix errors .....:Enter YStart check disk?Enter YThen defrag the Hard Drive with Dirms.Go -> Command promptThen type the followingdirms C -qThis will defrag the hard drive, once completed reboot.Your system should now boot.If this still doesn't work you will need to do a repair installation of XP.This should fix the problem.

Read other 3 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 86.4

When I got back from camping it looks like my cousin had opened my computer, everything looked ok but the side panel wasn't on right and my lamp was on the floor. Everything is still in it and looks plugged in, i booted it up and it has this error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\Windows\System32\Config\System

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM
Select 'r" at the first screen to start repair.


I booted to repair console to see what I could do and my drive letter was listed as D:\Windows (normally C). Whatever happened, I think it's trying to boot off drive C:\ while windows changed to D:\ but somehow my drive letter changed. I have no idea what happened and can't contact my cousin to see *** he did. My drive letter should be C:\.

I can reinstall Windows, but man what a pain! I only have an SP1 disc. Any ideas?


Additional info that you don't need to read but might want to.

1: I tried unplugging my cd drive, the only other drive in my computer (not even a floppy) and that didn't change anything.
2: The BIOS looks like it did.
3: It's a 1TB harddrive with two partitions, one is just a backup that is usually set to drive D:\.
4: I used an external hdd but let my cousin borrow it several days ago before I left and maybe he used it while I was gone and somehow swapped the drive letters. He's no good with computers so he wouldn't know HOW to do that.
5... Read more

A:Windows could not start ...missing file... \Windows\System32\Config\System

If you are going to format and reinstall or perform a repair install you may want to learn How to Slipstream Service Pack 3 into Windows XP

Read other 2 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 86

\windows could non start because the file \windows\system\vgaoem.fon is missing or corrupt. Please, help!!!
 

A:\windows could non start because the file \windows\system\vgaoem.fon is missing

Try this site : http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315338

Hope this helps

Gerchan
 

Read other 2 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 86

I have fixed this problem in the past in repair mode and i want to do the same with this, but, there is no filename at the end of the statement see below
Windows could not start because the following file is corrupt or missing
\windows\system32\config\system

Can this be fixed in repair mode without having to be reformated or reimaged.

All help appreciated
IBM r30 laptop
 

A:xp wont start missing or corrupt file

Read other 6 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 86

I have an old desktop with XP home on it. It refuses to start with the message: system 32\drivers\ntfs.sys. It is missing or corrupt and I need to insert the original disc, which I do not have. Is there a way to download the file to my other computer and load it onto the one that will not start? I have tried everything I can think of to fool it into starting. No dice. Thanks.

Read other answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 86

I have an old desktop with XP home on it. It refuses to start with the message: system 32\drivers\ntfs.sys. It is missing or corrupt and I need to insert the original disc, which I do not have. Is there a way to download the file to my other computer and load it onto the one that will not start? I have tried everything I can think of to fool it into starting. No dice. Thanks.

A:XP file corrupted or missing. Wont start up.

You will need an XP CD to fix your computer.
You can try downloading the XP Recovery Console ISO image. Burn the image to CD using IMGBurn in my signature and then boot off of the newly created CD. In the Recovery Console you can type chkdsk /R and press enter. Now type a Y for Yes and restart the computer. This will check you HDD. If it fails, the HDD needs to be replaced.

Read other 3 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 82.4

So my sister gets hold of a computer in the house and ruins it, and here is the dilemma I am facing: I turn on the computer and right away i come to this message....

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\SYSTEM

Attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the Original CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

So I enter the cd rom and press 'r' for repair, I choose C:\windows, however before it can begin to repair it asks me for an 'Administration Password' which I have no idea of after many attempts.

I do not want to have to format the pc since I have some very important files on it. Any help is appreciated.
 

A:Not Able to Start PC .. SYSTEM file missing...

Read other 8 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 81.6

I went to my friends house, his vista was customized, he said he downloaded a 'theme'. So I searched on google how to install vista themes, and I got this:

"1. Login as a user with Administrative privileges -or- have Administrative credentials ready (check under the keyboard for a slip of paper).
2. Navigate to %systemroot%\System32
3. Right-click uxtheme.dll and click properties.
4. Take ownership of the file and close dialogs.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for themeui.dll and shsvcs.dll
6. Right-click uxtheme.dll and click properties.
7. Give yourself (or group) Full Control permissions and close dialogs.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 for themeui.dll and shsvcs.dll.
9. Rename uxtheme.dll to uxtheme.old.
10. Rename themeui.dll to themeui.old.
11. Rename shsvcs.dll to shsvcs.old.
12. Copy patched files into %systemroot%\System32
13. Reboot (yes, this is really required)"

Everything was working fine until I rebooted. When I tried logging back in, it said the file "themeui.dll" not be found, windows is searching for a problem. When I hit ctrl+alt+delete, it takes me to the general vista screen, where I can change password, switch user, task manager etc...

All I can see is my desktop image, no icons, no start button, nothing. I right click my mouse, nothing happens. Please help, this computer was a gift, I just wanted to try out some different themes for fun.

Thanks
 

A:removed a system file, now vista wont start! help!

Read other 16 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 80.8

Hi, im running windows 7 on a laptop. It started to freeze while booting. I followed steps to fix this including last known good config and, system resore. I then got the win7 disk in the hope of using the upgrade facility to try and repair this but it asks me to restart the comp, then reload the disk in normal mode, as the os is failing to load, it is in a constant loop. I haven't tried a clean install but im hoping not to do this as there are some sensitive/important files on here(its used for social work) and im hoping not to lose them, could anyone help with this please, thank you.

A:Missing %hs file operating system refuses to start.

Welcome to7F .
I would first check to see if the HDD (you have a Hard-Drive right?) is in a good condition.



   Warning
The Following Method Should NOT Be Performed On An SSD!

Testing the HDD:
Perform a Disk Check | Disk Check- Scroll down to OPTION TWO of the tutorial and use the /R switch in the CHKDSK command | chkdsk C: /R.
Then Post the Disk Check results following | This Tutorial.
Once back in Windows, download Crystal Disk Info and post a screenshot (multiple shots if you have more than one drive).
Download SeaTools for DOS if you don't want to use a CD to test the HDD you can use YUMI ? Multiboot USB Creator to create a bootable USB (instructions are found at the bottom of both pages).
If SeaTools for DOS is unable to recognize your HDD:
Visit HDDdiag and follow the instructions | Or follow the instructions below.
If SeaTools For DOS does not recognize the drive;
Boot into the BIOS using the *Fx key.
Look for an entry called SATA Mode (or something similar), it should be set to IDE / AHCI.
It's probably set to AHCI which is why SeaTools doesn't recognize them in the DOS environment.
Set it to IDE then save and exit usually by pressing the F10 key.
Now boot into SeaTools and it should detect the drives.
Start the Long Test and let it run.
Upon completion don't try to boot into Windows as it will only result in a BSOD, go back into the BIOS
and change the SATA setting back to what it was in the first place.

*Popular BIOS access keys.
Let us know ... Read more

Read other 1 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 80

Good Morning
Running win xp home w/sp2
HP Pavilion 510c
Intel Celeron 1.3 GHz
254 Sys RAM

When I turn on comp. get the mssg:
Windows couldn't start following file missing
<Windows root>/system32/hal.dll
Reinstall copy of file

Do NOT have install disks, sys. recovery does not work. Tried to boot from a cd (changed BIOS to cd as 1st boot device) with win xp setup boot disk downloaded from MS site. Get same error mssg. All the threads I searched, the folks had disks or could boot from the cd drive, so that didn't work.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Pam
 

A:windows wont start missing hal.dll

Read other 8 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 77.2

in safe mode it indicated a file is missing <windows root>\system32\had.dll

i went into the safe mode and it gave the option to start in safe mode in XP or windows and when I tried to enter under XP it said it was missing and to find and reinstall it.

is there a way to reinstall it.
 

A:Solved: missing a file " windows root\system 32\had.dll "

Read other 14 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 76.8

Hi,
I've tried to start my pc but after the verifying pool data screen, windows fail to start! then it gives me a message saying that system 32 file is either corrupt or missing it and prompting me to reinstall the file! when I tried to reboot it prompts me to use to setup cd to repair the system by pressing r at the first screen !! When I did insert the cd, it didn't do anything, instead it sent me again to the same prompt!! I fear this is a kind of virus that either corrupted or deleted my system files! I'm aware of some technical terms and things but I ain't a pc genious!!! Please, if any of you have any ideas...Feeling a bit down at the moment, have a deadline on my neck as well.. Thanks
 

A:window root/system 32 corrupt or missing file

Make sure your computer is set to boot from the CDROM. The actual repair instructions are here. (This site was chosen at random with a Google search, but I've used it before).
 

Read other 1 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 76.8

Hi all.

My computer doesnt want to start windows at all! It prompts me with the screen i attached in first image. The first selection doesnt do anything except make the screen go black for 1 second then back to this screen. The 2nd option goes to the windows 7 startup screen, but it crashes and goes back to bios screen before the 4 windows colors even appear! I have been having some other problems with crashing lately, so in a way am not surprised, but what can i do to get my comp working again? Clean install?

Thank you

A:System wont start windows!!

It doesnt get past this exact moment on this screen when i choose to start normally

Read other 1 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 76.4

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.

This is what I get when I try and start my computer. It says i can repair it by using the original set CD-ROM.
Problem is: I have the CD-ROM but no D drive! It's a notebook I bought at one of those places people sell their second stuff to.
HOW CAN I FIX THIS PLEASE?
Thanks
MDV.
 

Read other answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 76.4

This issue is well covered but I can't find the answer that works for me.
I'm savvy enough to use a computer but black screen stuff is a mystery.
I have a Dell Dimesion 5150 pc with Windows XP.
It was working fine till the screen went black with a message about some problems and
restarting to see if that would fix it.
Restarting produced "windows could not start because the following file is missing or
corrupt: system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys".
I tried to start in safe mode with F8, it cycles back to "could not start".
I've no data to save so I put in The Dell XP reinsatallation cd but nothing happens.
The green light on the cd drive blinks a few time and quits.
The drive was working fine just minutes before the crash.
Some history;
The hard drive died, was replaced. Windows XP and some prgrams were installed and everything worked fine for a few months.
I just installed Quickbooks Pro (2006) from the original cd, it worked fine.
When I plugged a Cat5e cable into the ethernet port and got back to the screen, it was crashed.
Any advice about what to do would be greatly appreciated.
 

A:windows could not start because the following file is missing or

"I've no data to save so I put in The Dell XP reinsatallation cd but nothing happens"

When there are boot files on the hard drive (as there are on yours) your PC will not boot from a bootable CD until you make the CD drive the "first boot device" in BIOS Setup.

Turn off the PC.
Turn it on and at the Dell splash-screen press F2 to get into BIOS Setup.

If that doesn't work, turn off the PC.
Turn it on & at the Dell splash-screen press the Delete key to get into BIOS Setup.
 

Read other 1 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 76.4

I need help recovering from currupted registry preventing windows to load.
I have tried solution from microsoft without any progress:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

When I type in the following line:
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
I get can not copy file and when I try to do it again I get a blue screen Memory Management is described with some technical information looks like a memory address.

Anyone know how to get this resolved?
Please help.
 

A:windows can not start due to missing file

Read other 16 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 76.4

When powering up the computer, the following error message appears: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system. When I try to boot from my XP Home Upgrade CD, in order to repair the Windows installation, it complains that it cannot find a previous installation of Windows.
 

Read other answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 76.4

im do a EasyBCD To start dual boot~~ when im restart my computer and this message appear~ Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root"\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

when im start recovery it have to OS that contain C:Windows
D:WINDOWS

at C: im cannot recovery because when im put password it keep invalid~ how do i do it ? :'(

A:Windows could not start because the following file is missing....

Hello DarkRavenz Welcome to the WindowsForums!

When you say you are using EasyBCD to set up a dual boot how are you setting a dual boot of Windows 7 Home Premium and ??? Are you trying to dual boot between 7 and XP or Vista or with another OS like ubuntu?

Are you planning to dual boot two OSs on the same drive or across two separate drives? Some additional information is needed here for reference.

Read other 5 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 76

Hi All

Ok, last night I was trying to update my creative sound card drivers. I went to the creative website and downloaded the latest drivers for my sb audigy 2 zs. During the install of the drivers, my computer said that there were older drivers installed, and asked if I wanted to delete the old drivers and restart the computer. I clicked "yes", the old drivers were uninstalled, and the computer restarted.

When I entered windows, the driver installation resumed, but a screen also popped up that said something about opening the trouble shooter for my sound card, or something like that, I wasnt really paying attention. When the trouble shooter screen came up, the computer bsod and restarted. I didnt catch the error message.

Now Windows wont load, it says
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\system32\c_1252.nls"
and that I can attempt to repair using the original setup cd-rom.

I did some searching around the internet and found this site

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830088

However, I dont have the original windows cd that came with my computer, as I dont believe they sent me one. I do have a recovery DVD that came with my computer.

I have a product key sticker on the side of my tower, and I am running Windows xp Media Center 2004.

I managed to locate a Windows xp pro corporate edition cd. Using this cd I was able to get into the... Read more

A:Windows wont start: \windows\system32\c_1252.nls is missing or corrupt

I just tried to boot up using a windows xp mce 2005 cd, but my version is 2004, and the results were the same as before.

I saw some screen shots of the recovery console online, and it should look like
"C: \WINDOWS>"

however my screen shows
"C:\>"

Everytime I type something here, it just says "There is no floppy disk or cd in the drive."

It doesn't ask me which windows installation I would like to log on to, or ask me for my administrative password.

Does anyone know anything about this, or have any advice at all?
I really dont want to mess up my computer any worse than it already is by changing things I dont understand.
 

Read other 10 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 76

Somebody Please help. I have been trying to get my windows firewall working and have spent hours searching forums. I came across a thread that describes exactly what is happening with my machine. Windows Firewall Authorization Driver - not present, not working, etc. I really dont want to format this machine. I have gotten as far as running 317 security check

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.24
Windows 7 x64 (UAC is disabled!)
Internet Explorer 9
``````````````````````````````
Antivirus/Firewall Check:
Windows Security Center service is not running! This report may not be accurate!
McAfee Security Scan Plus
WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.
```````````````````````````````
Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:
Java(TM) 6 Update 31
Mozilla Firefox (x86 en-US..)
[b]````````````````````````````````
Process Check:

A:Windows Firewall Service wont start error 1068 win secur svc missing

Jremmie,
First get that junk off of your computer!

Then:
1. Install MSE (link in my signature and use only that link!)

2. 2nd run WDO (once again link in my signature).

After doing those two things are posting the zip file that I'm going to request, come back. I will answer no questions until these two tasks have been complested.

HOW TO USE WINDOWS DEFENDER OFFLINE ON A USB STICK
Windows Defender Offline
? is a free standalone, bootable malware and virus remover from Microsoft.
? performs an offline scan of an infected PC to remove viruses, rootkits and other advanced malware.

Download Windows Defender Offline (about 764 kB)

You will have the choice of downloading the 32bit version (x86) or the 64 bit version (x64).
The link will help you determine whether you are running a 32 bit version or 64 bit version of Windows

NOTE!! You can download and prepare a 32 bit version using a 64 bit version of Windows
NOTE!! You can download and prepare a 64 bit version using a 32bit version of Windows.

You run the 32 bit version on a 32 bit version of Windows.
You run the 64 bit version on a 64 bit version of Windows.

The 32 bit download file name is: mssstool32.exe
The 64 bit download file name is: mssstool64.exe

For the curious, this program was originally name Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper.


INSTALLATION:
You will need an Internet Connection.
Insert 512 mB (Microsoft’s 256 mB is no longer a... Read more

Read other 1 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 76

Hi guys,

i have two laptops running windows 8 that have a similar problem

one of them starts loading windows 8 then goes to a black screen and does nothing...the other one gets to a login screen and after login goes to a black screen and does nothing...

now...is there a safe mode in windows 8??? i have read on numerous articles that if you hold down shift and press f8 it will start up recovery options
i have tried this about 50 times...nothing...all other recovery info starts safe mode from within windows...whats the point of that???

i also have a win8 dvd that i tried booting up, and although my one laptop (the one thats going straight to the black screen) said something about trying recovery options...nothing happened

so what is the procedure with windows 8??? how can we get a crashing system recovered...is there some third party tool that can assist with these problems??? any help appreciated

ok...so after going through a few results i found this:

How To Create a Windows 8 Recovery Drive [Easy, 10 Min]

might come in useful to somebody else on this forum

A:Windows 8 recovery when the system wont start...

Boot to the start up recovery menu: Startup Options Menu - Boot to in Windows 8
Hit "Troubleshoot". Try "Automatic Repair".

Read other 2 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 76

Hallo everyone,
 
so i have searched and tried everyway i know that is possible to fix this problem and i got nowhere but i did find a similar problem that was posted here in 2012 under the Name:

Windows Failed to Start, System Repair Can't Discover Problem
so what happend is i was updating the Drivers for my Toshiba Satalite e205  running on win7 32 bit and i didnt restart the computer till i was done installing all the Drivers and among those Drivers i had an update for BOIS that asked me go to BIOS after restarting and set back the defualt settings.
I did so and after that my laptop reachs the Windows Logo and restart again and go to the startup repair which also wasnt helpfull as i am getting : Startup repair connot repair this Computer automatically
 
Problem details:
 
Problem signature:
problem Event Name :                    StartupRepairOffline
Problemsignature01:                       6.1.7600.16385
Problemsignature02:                       6.1.7600.16385
Problemsignature03:                       unknown
Problemsignature04:... Read more

A:Windows wont start, System Repair does'nt help

Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) (x86) Version: 16-10-2016Ran by SYSTEM on MININT-7P2TTLL (26-10-2016 17:50:48)Running from h:\Platform: Windows 7 Home Premium (X86) Language: English (United States)Internet Explorer Version 9Boot Mode: RecoveryDefault: ControlSet001ATTENTION!:=====> If the system is bootable FRST must be run from normal or Safe mode to create a complete log. Tutorial for Farbar Recovery Scan Tool: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/335081-frst-tutorial-how-to-use-farbar-recovery-scan-tool/ ==================== Registry (Whitelisted) ==================== (If an entry is included in the fixlist, the registry item will be restored to default or removed. The file will not be moved.) HKLM\...\Run: [RtHDVCpl] => C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtHDVCpl.exe [10025576 2011-02-24] (Realtek Semiconductor)HKLM\...\Run: [TosWaitSrv] => C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TPHM\TosWaitSrv.exe [611672 2010-02-05] (TOSHIBA Corporation)HKLM\...\Run: [Teco] => C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TECO\Teco.exe [1328480 2010-04-06] (TOSHIBA Corporation)HKLM\...\Run: [TWebCamera] => C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Web Camera Application\TWebCamera.exe [2454840 2010-05-01] (TOSHIBA CORPORATION.)HKLM\...\Run: [TosNC] => C:\Program Files\Toshiba\BulletinBoard\TosNcCore.exe [467816 2010-04-23] (TOSHIBA Corporation)HKLM\...\Run: [TosReelTimeMonitor] => C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ReelTime\TosReelTimeMonitor.exe [30040 2010-03-03] (TOSHIBA Corporat... Read more

Read other 1 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 75.6

I downloaded Kapersky internet security 7.0. It was working good for a couple days, and then it identified some file that was named something like win32/winlogon.exe, as behaving suspiciously. So I quarantined it, and then the computer shut down, and when it restarted, it went throught that initial Windows loading page, and then right before I get to the part where I choose which account to log into the computer with, the computer restarts. I have tried to run the computer in safe mode, and done like all the options in that screen, like restoring last known settings or whatever. The only thing I didn't do on that menu was something where you type commands, and I dont know how to do that kind of thing, nor did I even know my password to start the process lol..

Some people have told me to try fixing Windows with the Windows Recovery CD that comes with the computer.. but I lost this a couple years ago when I moved. My computer is a Compaq Presario SR1135CL, I have Windows XP Home, with service pack 2. I contacted HP to try to get a new recovery cd but the person I talked to said he couldn't help because my warranty ran out. But he said if I paid 59 dollars, he could connect me to a technician who could solve the problem in a matter of seconds.. So I don't know if the problem is actually something very easy to fix or if he was just trying to scam me into paying for a service..

sorry so long, thanx for reading
 

A:windows wont load b/c missing system file

Read other 16 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 75.6

I downloaded Kapersky internet security 7.0. It was working good for a couple days, and then it identified some file that was named something like win32/winlogon.exe, as behaving suspiciously. So I quarantined it, and then the computer shut down, and when it restarted, it went throught that initial Windows loading page, and then right before I get to the part where I choose which account to log into the computer with, the computer restarts. I have tried to run the computer in safe mode, and done like all the options in that screen, like restoring last known settings or whatever. The only thing I didn't do on that menu was something where you type commands, and I dont know how to do that kind of thing, nor did I even know my password to start the process lol..

Some people have told me to try fixing Windows with the Windows Recovery CD that comes with the computer.. but I lost this a couple years ago when I moved. My computer is a Compaq Presario SR1135CL, I have Windows XP Home, with service pack 2. I contacted HP to try to get a new recovery cd but the person I talked to said he couldn't help because my warranty ran out. But he said if I paid 59 dollars, he could connect me to a technician who could solve the problem in a matter of seconds.. So I don't know if the problem is actually something very easy to fix or if he was just trying to scam me into paying for a service..

sorry so long, thanx for reading

A:windows wont load b/c missing system file

Winlogon.exe is used to facilitate logins/logoffs and is a necessary file. If you could find another XP Home disc you can repair the OS and that should fix it. Other than that you could try copying that file from a working computer and put it in the folder where it is supposed to be although i don't know if that method will work or not. And the HP guy was probably going to tell you to use the CD to fix it in a matter of seconds.

Read other 5 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 75.6

Hi
Will appreciate any help with this problem.
When computer starts up it gives me a message on a black background
"Windows could not start up because the following file is missing or corrupt Windows root/system32/hal.dll. Please re install a copy of the above file"
When i press ENTER it gives me options

Microsoft Windows Recovery Console
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Setup

When i choose MW XP Home Edition it starts up normally.

This message started to appear after I tried to repair my computer from Microsoft Windows XP recovery CD and later I found out that PC was infected with malware at that time.

I got send to Windows FORUM by HJT team who helped me to clean my computer up from malware. They also told me that I should have never performed a repair Windows when the computer was infected with malware.. Now when its free of viruses they suggested me to seek further assistance with hal.dll problem here.
Please if anyone knows how to fix hal.dll file let me know.

Thanks again.

A:"Windows could not start up because the following file is missing or corrupt"

Seeing how you can get it to run normally after choosing those boot options probably means you hosed the boot.ini file:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330184

Read other 6 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 75.6

Hello,

Hopefully someone can help me out here.
My system is an HP Pavillion 7935 running Windows XP.
The problem is I am getting just a black screen everytime I boot up with a series of blocks at the bottom of the screen and after a few minutes the following error message appears:

"Windows Could Not Start Because The Following File Is Missing Or Corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original CD-ROM. Select 'R' at the first screen to start repair."

The system did not come with a Windows Setup CD-ROM. I tried to go into Safe Mode with Command Prompt by hitting the F8 key, but a command prompt window does not appear, just a list of a few file names, then the same error message that I stated above appears.

Can anyone help me with this problem?
Thanks in advance for the help.
 

A:Windows Couldn't Start Because File Is Missing

Have you contacted HP support or searched their website?

Try: http://us-support2.external.hp.com/emse/bin/doc.pl/forward/screen=emseHome/sid=7fdc9f1d1d929de085?

I tried a searched but they lock you out if you don't have an account.
 

Read other 1 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 75.6

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM you can attempt to repair this file by restarting windows by using the original setup CDROM.

Now this is the pain in the **** error message which is driving e and a friend insane, my computer had slowly been slowing itself which I first was nothing so I went about my life as normal then one day I went to play on Dawn of War and BOOM that error message presented itself to me which ranked 100/10 on the "Oh shi-" meter, so I tried putting in the disk with no success, tried repairing it - nada. So I tried copying over the folder from a clean hard drive which failed as expected and now I'm out of ideas with anything important sitting on a save hard drive.

A:Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt

At the recovery console type chkdsk /p (note the space between the "k" and "/p" ) and hit enter.

if it dont help refer:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Read other 1 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 75.6

Whenever I try to start my computer, the bios loads as normal, but then I get a black screen with the message: Windows can not start because C:\WINDOWS\System32\config\system is missing or corrupted.
It tells me that I can try to repair the problem by loading the repair console on the Windows XP install disk, but whenever I try this, I get a black screen with a DOS console, and I don't know enough DOS to fix the problem. Help please!

P.S. If it is avoidable, I'd rather NOT have to reformat or wipe my hard drive.
 

A:Windows can not start up. File missing or corrupted?

asd123 said:

Whenever I try to start my computer, the bios loads as normal, but then I get a black screen with the message: Windows can not start because C:\WINDOWS\System32\config\system is missing or corrupted.
It tells me that I can try to repair the problem by loading the repair console on the Windows XP install disk, but whenever I try this, I get a black screen with a DOS console, and I don't know enough DOS to fix the problem. Help please!

P.S. If it is avoidable, I'd rather NOT have to reformat or wipe my hard drive.Click to expand...

There are a number of functions available in the Repair Console. The one most likely to help would be "chkdsk /r", but you can review this and other possibilities by simply typing "help" after logging in.
 

Read other 1 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 75.6

Hi everybody,

I'm hoping someone can help with a valid link to download a recovery console for repairing XP. I'm trying to help with another laptop in my house which won't start up. When I fire it up, I get this message:
​ "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system 32\config\system"

It says I could attempt to repair the file with the original setup CD Rom. I have no XP disks and I can't boot into safe mode, so - from other threads on the forum it seems I need to download some recovery console so I can attempt the repair (?). However, I can't find a valid link to download the console anywhere (I was trying the links in this discussion: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/978280-solved-windows-could-not-start-2.html --- in PM#20) but I can't seem to access computer paramedics to download.

If I have to download anything, it will have to be on an unaffected computer, as the one in question won't boot up at all.

Can anyone help me out with this dilemma?? I hope so, and thank you very much in advance for any helpful suggestions
 

Read other answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 75.6

Upon starting my computer Sunday morning the following message appeared on a black screen in white typeface:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

I attempted to repair this by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. I just keep getting looped back to: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

Thanks for your input!

A:"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt

Boot to the XP CD and select R (Recovery Console)

At the command prompt type:

ren c:\windows\system32\config\system system.old
copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config

Reboot

Read other 9 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 75.6

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I use windows xp professional and had a friend assemble a computer for me. After a week the computer suddenly closed, and when I rebooted it had this error. I have looked for solutions over the internet, and I all of them involve using the recovery console to delete the old system file and replace it with a backup system file that was there when Windows was initially set up.

Problem is, when I load my XP setup CD and use recovery console, it asks me which windows installation I want to log on to. Since theres only 1, I type 1 enter but it freezes there. When I try to reinstall Windows XP , after I press F8 to accept the license, it says looking for other versions of windows and the screen just stays like that, for 30 plus minutes. I am sure the problems are related, but the fact remains that I cant reformat my hard drive from the Win xp setup cd or even use the recovery console, or even access safe mode and the last known working registry option doesnt work.

The hard drive is only a week old, and it worked fine until now, so I doubt it could be the problem. What do you think I should do? I was thinking that if I could access MS DOS from boot, I could delete the old system file and replace it with the backup just as the recovery console would do. To access DOS would a boot 1.44 disk made from the format disk option work? I read that a Win 95 or 98 setup cd would get... Read more

A:Help! Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt

Have you tried this method? It leaves your personal files intact.

Perform a Repair Installation
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

There's also Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset(30 day evaluation)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...69-0554-4595-8ab4-c34b2860e087&DisplayLang=en
Here's how to perform a clean install:
http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps

http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

http://www.cyberwalker.com/article/454/45#reinstallxp

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941
 

Read other 2 answers
RELEVANCY SCORE 75.6

<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. System stops when message comes up. I have genelogy program on this compuyer I would like to recover. I spent the pass 76 years gathering it. Thank you for any help! The system is XP Professional.
 

A:Windows could not start file is missing or corrrup

dickpennington said:

<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. System stops when message comes up. I have genelogy program on this compuyer I would like to recover. Click to expand...

Hello,

You might find this useful !
Let us know if it does the trick for you !

all the best

~a
 

Read other 2 answers